Camper Equipment List
* Available at SJ Canteen (SJ raincoats can be pre-ordered)
** Campers can drop off laundry at $7.00 per 8lb load
- Pillow & 2 pillow cases
- Sheets (1 flat + 1 fitted, cot or twin sized)
- A queen sized fitted will also wrap around the mattress.
- Optional mattress pad (foam or quilted fabric)
- Warm blanket
- Sleeping bag with optional lightweight liner (can be a sheet sewn to make a bag)
- 2 bath towels & washcloth or puff
- 1 jacket
- 1 sweatshirt* & 1 pair of sweatpants*
- 5 t-shirts* (optional – please bring one in each color: pink, red, blue, yellow/gold (for Color Games), and pink (for Pink Wednesdays)
- Sleeveless shirts are not allowed for riding!
- Optional – 1 black t-shirt and 1 black pair of shorts for theater/skit activities
- 1 white t-shirt for tie-dyeing*
- 5 shorts
- 5+ breeches or long pants for riding (required)
- 8 underwear
- 8 high riding socks & 8 sneaker socks
- 1 pair of sneakers
- 1 pair of rain shoes or extra pair of sneakers
- 1 pair of old sneakers for swimming with the horses (required – not Crocs)
- 1 riding helmet – SEI approved (required)
- 1 pair of riding boots (paddock boots are best – required)
- Condition and waterproof before bringing
- 1 sturdy raincoat with hood (required)
- 2 bathing suits & 1 or 2 beach towels (and clothes pins to hang them to dry)
- 1 pair of sandals/Tevas/Crocs for showers
- 1 bathrobe (optional)
- 2 sets of pajamas/sleepwear
- 2 laundry bags – lightweight to be washed & dried with clothes
- Plastic toiletry caddy with toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, conditioner, comb/brush, hair ties*
- Clothes for banquet night (1 per session) – casual dress or skirt & nice top, or nice short combo
- 2 water bottles*
- 1 flashlight & extra batteries*
- Headlamps are a great choice
- Writing materials*
- Envelopes already addressed and with US postage will make sending letters home easier
- Stamps – first class and postcard*
- Non-aerosol insect repellant (required)
- Non-aerosol sunscreen (required)
- Mosquito head net for gnats*
- Shoebox sized plastic bin/Tupperware with tight fitting lid with your favorite snacks
- Try to be nut/peanut-free!
Please try not to bring things which are harmful to the environment e.g. aerosols, disposable flashlight, etc.
Optional equipment: books, musical instruments, ½ chaps, inexpensive camera, battery powered fan, battery powered lantern, personal protective vest for x-country riding (we have vests available to borrow).
Please limit baggage to camp trunk (up to 13” high fits under most beds) and one duffel bag or other bag. Trunks are a great investment but are not required. Please label ALL equipment and clothes with camper’s name. SJ Riding Camp is not responsible for the loss or damage of personal items so please do not bring treasured or expensive items. Personal riding and sports equipment brought to camp must meet the same safety standards and storage requirements as camp-owned equipment.
Items Not Allowed: Alcohol, anything that connects to the internet, candles, cell phones, all drugs (prescription and over the counter drugs are to be given to the nurse), lighters & anything fire related, pets, pocketknife, tobacco, or weapons.
We suggest parents pack with their daughter, regardless of age.
LABEL EVERYTHING, including socks! Put a copy of this list in your trunk or duffle.
SJ Swap Shop – Donate outgrown breeches and boots and/or take from the free Shop!